Max guests: 4
Location: 5ème – Quartier Latin
Metro: Cardinal Lemoine
2 min walk
Street: 50 Rue Descartes Paris 75005
1 guest: 95.00 EUR/night
2 guests: 95.00 EUR/night
3 guests: 95.00 EUR/night
4 guests: 95.00 EUR/night
Minimum nights: 7
Max guests: 4
Welcome to your typically historic, calm and bright studio Paris
apartment on the classic and most famous Rue Mouffetard,
the street known for its long line of cobblestone specialty shops
and fresh produce in the historic and beautiful Latin Quartier. This is
one for the women travelers seeking a literary nostalgic Parisian
experience where they will be able to walk to all the literary cult
cafes frequented by the likes of Hemingway, Sartre and more...
Located in a charming historic building from 17th century. It sits right across from Hemingway's old home and is just in front of the Pantheon! The Mosque de Paris with the incredible hammam for decadent spas, Jardin Luxembourg and Jardin des Plantes are also close. The studio is fully self contained and can accommodate up to 4 guests and you can get creative in the extensive equipped kitchen with your fresh purchases and live la vie Parisian in this charming unique Paris studio with exposed timber beams and rooftop views. The ultimate traditional Parisian studio home.
ABOUT your Hosts:Tea is a German/Finnish entrepreneur and business executive based in Australia and France where she runs an international language service company. She travels extensively for work and the studio is her home and sanctuary when in Paris due to its calm position. Tea and her family love sharing the magic of the city with friends and guests.
Mouffetard is my favourite street in Paris. It's the old historic
Paris, full of charm and activities, with fresh food markets and
literary cafes abound. Hemingway lived across the street and today many
famous French artists live in the area. It's mostly a pedestrian street
where Paris locals, students from the nearby Sorbonne University and the
famous Henry IV Highschool (France's most prestigious Lycee) mingle
with travellers from all around the world. Just next to the Pantheon and
a 10 minute walk from the Seine River and Notre Dame, 5 minutes from
the Jardin de Luxembourg, and a stunning 20 minute walk through Ile de
la Citee or Ile St. Louis to the Right Bank, it's centrally located for
One of Tea's favourite things to do is the Hammam (Arabic Steam baths) at the nearby French Mosque (Mosquee de Paris). It's an authentic Arabian spa experience with Algerian mamas giving you deep tissue massages and delightful tea rooms for lingering afterwards, a great way to get rid of jet lag.
Buy local produce at the famous markets at Place Monge and Rue Mouffetard where Parisians shop and cook up a storm in the well equipped kitchen or take a picnic down to the Seine for sunset drinks! You can virtually walk everywhere from this location, but the metro at Place Monge is less than a 5 minute walk and the RER (airport train link) to both airports (CDG and Orly) is less than 10 minutes away (RER/Metro Luxembourg). The Jardin des Plantes is just down the road too.
ABOUT the Studio:
Charming 33m2 Paris studio apartment in Rue Descartes, in the heart of the famous Rue Mouffetard Quarter, moments from the quaint and well-known Place Contrescarpe.
A calm and bright haven on the 4th floor with views to France's most prestigious school Lycee Henri IV and the Pantheon on one side and the Parisian roofs over the peaceful courtyard on the other side. This studio exudes the charm of historical Paris with its exposed timber beams and fireplace.
Newly renovated in January 2011, the Paris studio apartment features state of the art amenities including wall mounted flat screen TV with Ipod/Iphone dock and cable Panasonic TV including international channels, high speed internet and wireless, phone connection with free calls to all French fixed lines and mobiles and to international landlines in over 130 countries as well as latest model of Brand washing machine and dryer, induction hot plates and LG microwave.
Cook up a storm in the fully equipped kitchen with the exquisite local produce you get in the Rue Mouffetard at the fresh food markets or walk down to the Seine River (10 min) with a champagne picnic from one of the numerous local wine merchants in the street.
Other facilities include washing machine, clothes dryer and all linens provided.The calm location of the studio in the back building invites a good night sleep in the loft sleeping area (mezzanine to be accessed with ladder) with a queen size mattress, or turn your living room into a junior suite by easily converting the trendy "Sullivan" sofa into a luxury bed with a high quality queen size mattress (top grade of density, "HR 35", high resilience with 35kg/m3).
Thanks to our location up on the 4th level, enjoy light entering through the large windows. This is the most historic part of Paris, so no elevator in the antique building with typical Parisian stone stairs leading you up to your private sanctuary. But you do get your daily workout - no gym pass needed!!
The small bathroom features a good size shower (owners are both very tall people!), a sink and toilet.
Book tip: Ernest Hemingway "A Moveable Feast" (a copy is in the studio for you to read during your stay if you wish). Hemingway lived across the street and the old Paris city wall goes through the main building, so you are experiencing 12th century history live! "If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast" - Hemingway.NOTE About the 2nd Bed on the Mezzanine:
It's important to ensure the Studio is the perfect fit for guests. We always "warn" about the mezzanine, so there are never any surprises and everyone is always very happy and loves the Studio - though we fully understand that it is not for everyone. We have had 60/70 year old women and couples stay and who absolutely loved it. But it is still up to the guests to decide if the mezzanine will be comfortable and suitable. If guests are claustrophobic, it's not the right choice. The mattress is wonderful, many guests even stating they sleep better upstairs. It is a bit like on a yacht or a boat. The ladder is securely fixed, and there is a security banner around it. If the ladder is not too acrobatic for guests we believe generally guests should feel OK and they should have a charming, original stay in the oldest part of Paris.
Additional Services: offered by Tea's representatives, Nicole, Louise or Breff, your 3 local Parisians and local Paris guides:
- Guided walk around the neighbourhood - 1hr at 50euros. This service cam be selected at checkout when booking.
- Museum Visit, 1 hr at 50euros. This service cam be selected at checkout when booking.
- French language lesson 1hr at 50euros. This service cam be selected at checkout when booking.
- Picnic on the Seine - 60euro for 1 hr
- PLEASE NOTE: You may select these services at the time of booking but these services are subject to Breff's availability. If he is not available they will obviously not be charged and deducted from your total.
Add On Service:
Why not enhance your stay and take an
intimate night tour by car with our Paris chauffeur Karyn. Karyn will
pick you up and the home and in her impeccably comfortable vehicle, and
like your own concierge she will whisk you away to all the best spots of
Paris. A charming local Karyn offers prestigious service while being
her warm genuine self offering information and tips about the city. She
will quickly and easily become a friend in Paris. Karyn also offers day trips to Giverny, Versailles, Rouen, Chantilly Castle, Fontainbleu and day trips to the Champagne region. To BOOK one of these day trips click HERE
- Deposit payment is required to secure this studio via secure online payment using credit card or Paypal.
- Once deposit is sent the studio is booked and a booking confirmation email will be sent.
- Balance is DUE 6 WEEKS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL. Guests will be prompted by Tea at the right time with payment instructions.
- Note: This is one of our special homes and unique hosts that requires special attention and is only available to book via email. For guests who are happy to wait for personalized service and care. Please email us directly with your travel dates and we will advise of its availability and guide you through the very swift, secure and easy booking process as detailed above.
- Towels & Linens
- Washer and Dryer
Check in and Check out:
- Your host/apartment owner Tea, or her representative will welcome you at the apartment.
- Check-in time is generally after 2PM. Guests may have earlier access if they request it prior to arrival, if there are no prior guests and cleaning has been completed.
- Arrival and deposit of your bags is possible anytime if you let your host know prior to arrival.
- Check-out by 10AM
- Tea and Olivier do not accept pets in the apartment.
- The studio is non smoking.
- Your hosts apartment is wifi equipped.
- Air Conditioning
- Lift or Ground floor
- Private Entry
- With a View
- Baby friendly
- Babybed (x1)
- Private Bathroom
- Shared Bathroom
- Bathtub (with shower)
- Shower (walk-in)
- Clothes Hanger
- TWIN Beds
- Luggage Rack
- Shelves storage
- Bedroom Balcony
- Tea/coffee Making
- Bedroom Desk
- Bedroom TV
- Kitchen Use
- Coffee Machine
- Private Lounge
- Shared Lounge
- Host Languages
- English Speaking
- French speaking
- Spanish speaking
- Italian speaking
- Portuguese speaking
- German speaking
- Dutch speaking
- Japanese speaking
- Korean speaking
- Chinese speaking
- Media & Technology
- Phone - local calls
- Free overseas calls
- General Services
- Airport transfer - $
- Breakfast Delivery
- FREE laundry service
- Room Service
- Safety Box
- FREE Parking on-site
- Cleaning INCLUDED
- Cleaning - $
- 24hr assistance
- 24hr tea/coffee
- Luggage storage
- Laundry - $
- Parking - $
- Car Hire - $
- Breakfast INCLUDED
- Breakfast delivery (1st morning only)
- Specialty Services
- Language lessons
- Gourmet Tour
- Friendly conversations (English)
- Guide/Tour by Car
- Wine on Arrival
- Flowers and/or wine at arrival
- Platters with wine or champagne
- Home cooked meals
- Cooking lessons
- Guided walks
- Art lessons
- Yoga class
This home hasn't been reviewed yet.
About the Neighbourhood
5ème – Quartier Latin
Your home is in the Latin Quarter; the mythical literary heart of Paris - Hemingway,
Satre and Steins’ Paris. Old world and romantic cobblestone streets, secret passages, tucked
away gardens, cafes, bars as well as grand boulevards and bustling
major cornerstones to lose yourself in. Here you will find antique
stores, bookstores, an abundance of art galleries and Paris’
oldest passages and restaurants. At your doorstep is Place Contrescarpe famous Delmas Cafe,
the bohemian Odeon and St-Michel nightlife with famous Jazz institutions, the Pantheon and Sorbonne only 8 mins walk away, Cluny Medieval
Museum, and the infamous Rue mouffetard is the longest pedestrian only street in Paris with specialty gourmet shops
and boulangeries, cafes, brasseries and a weekly fresh food market and is always alive with musicians and buskers.
We also highly recommend the following local insider spots, on foot:
- Mosquee de Paris -
a cafe of unique proportions, delectable mint tea only 2euro in an
atmosphere of exotic Middle Eastern mosaic tiled beauty (10mins) - MAP
- Place Monge - Sunday local markets 7am-2pm (5mins) - MAP
- Collège des Bernardins - 13th-century Cistercian building houses the cathedral school, contemporary art, concerts exhibitions, film screenings, debates, symposiums, a cafe and garden. A last vestige of the medieval University of Paris, (7mins) - MAP
- Sugarplum - cozy delicious coffee spot 1 min away - MAP
- Bouquinistes - the start of the famous antique and rare print book sellers that line the picturesque seine river banks from Quai de la Tournelle - MAP
- Carl Marletti - famous patisserie (8 mins) - MAP
- Gregory Renard - famous boulangerie/patisserie (8 mins) - MAP
- Jardin des Plantes - incredible botanical garden with a Rose Garden, Museum of Natural History, Botanical Museum, a mini zoo and winding tranquil pathways (6min) - MAP
- Charming restaurants nearby: La Crete (4mins) MAP; Le trois Carafes (7mins) MAP; Au Bon Coin (11 mins) MAP.
- Jardin Luxembourg - most famous Paris park (10mins) - MAP
- Cafe de la Nouvelle Mairie - a favourite wine bar (5mins) - MAP
- Maison Claudel vine et Whisky - festive wine and whisky bar, leather chairs and small bites make it ideal before dinner (4mins) - MAP
- Laurent Dubois - fantastic Fromagerie (7mins) - MAP
- Les Papilles - classic brasserie experience (9mins) - MAP
- Boot Cafe - a bit of a stretch but worth the cosy hole-in-the-wall cafe experience (16mins) - MAP
- Odette - famous creme filled pastries, on an idyllic people watching street corner (10 mins) - MAP
- Shakespeare & Co - most famous bookshop in Paris featured in many movies (10mins) - MAP
- Le Caveau des Hutchette - jazz venue (12 mins) - MAP
- Paris' OLDEST passage Cour du Commerce Saint-Andre 16 mins MAP
- Le 43 Bar a rooftop terrace cocktail bar with 180 degree views of Paris (15mins) MAP
- St Michel Notre Dame metro (15mins from home - MAP) provide direct access to Versailles, Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports